Wednesday, April 14, 2010

MMA Update 04/14/10


We have lived in MMA for more than 1 month already. We want to experience everything here and we really enjoy the new life with our new friends. If you want to know our feelings in details, please follow us.

About our classes...
One thing impressing me a lot is the different ways of teaching at MMA. In SMU, we don’t need to read more than 40 pages of textbook within a week, but we have to here because a regular quiz is always waiting for us before the lecture. Honestly, I couldn’t adapt myself to the new teaching environment at first and it was really tough. Sometimes, I had to read the textbooks again and again for fear that I may miss something important and fail the quiz. After taking several quizzes, I think I can get the hang of it now. Another point arouses my curiosity is that students here are very active in class here and they may ask any questions at any time, while we Chinese students would just like to listen and make notes of the lecture. Among all the lectures, I prefer Vessel Chartering and Brokerage most which is provided by Prof. Norz. I find it gives me a brand new angle on the shipping market and the analytical reports often make me feel excited. I think I’m a real challenge junkie!
Wang Yiqug (Jeffrey)

We prefer the educational methods here and get the feeling that students have a strong passion for learning. They ask questions and interact with teachers actively, which provides a pretty good learning environment. The curriculum here is not that hard but contains the most basic and important knowledge, so that great stress of study won’t be made for students.
Qian Chenjia (Annabelle)

About the food...
We are facing a new world, a new environment. There are many foods which we can choose in the mess deck. Everybody is curious about the different food in US such as the cheeseburger, the different sauce, the ham and sandwiches. At the beginning, the difference food in mess deck isn't to our taste. But with the passing time, we have all adapted to the food containing much nutrition. We all spend a good amount of time in the mess deck. Xiao Ding (Jax)

Edited by Yang Hanzhao "Hank" SMU Exchange Student

This entry was co-written by SMU exchange students.

No comments:

Post a Comment