Thursday, March 4, 2010

Arrival in China


We were scheduled to meet at Logan airport on March 3, 2010 at 0930 to prepare for our noon departure. We met at the terminal and we were able to check our bags without any problems. We all had been trying to mentally prepare for the flight we were about to undertake. I know I certainly wasn't focusing on the airplane seat that I was about to get acquainted with. Fortunately, the flight went very well as we stopped in Detroit and transferred onto another plane to Shanghai. We had approximately 20 hours of flying time between the two flights. I have never been so happy in my life to see land! I had no clue what day it was when we landed and I certainly wasn't aware of the time. Its perplexing to get on a plane Wednesday morning and land in Shanghai on Thursday night.

We met our friends from Shanghai Maritime University at the terminal and after some greetings we were on our way. It was quite refreshing to see familiar faces in such an unfamiliar place. We had minimal expectations before coming to Shanghai and we really didn't know what our living quarters would be like. We were quite surprised when we reached the foreign dorm rooms. We were shocked to find out that we had two rooms per cadet. The one room is our living quarters while the other room is across the hall and will be used as an office lounge. They have really went above and beyond to make this as comfortable as possible for our stay. Our new roommates are so helpful and eager to make sure that we are satisfied with everything. I still can't believe I'm in China.

Adam Silvis is a 2/C cadet and Student Trustee at Massachusetts Maritime Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment